This article covers replacing the engine air filter in a BMW F39 X2 vehicle with the B46 turbocharged 4 cylinder engine. Even though we used a 2018 X2 to perform this repair, this article can be applied to any 2014+ X1, X2 or MINI (including the Clubman and Countryman) vehicle with minor modifications.
A BMW X2 air filter replacement takes less than 15 minutes and can save you an expensive trip to the dealership.
One of the easiest maintenance items you can perform on your BMW X2 SAV is replacing the engine’s air filter. But don’t underestimate the importance of this simple service procedure; your BMW X2 air filter plays a very important part in the longevity and performance of your X2’s engine. It plays a pivotal role in the health of your engine by filtering out dirt, sand and other air borne contaminates that can become trapped inside the motor causing damage to many of its internal parts. Performing a BMW X2 air filter replacement on a regular basis is as important as changing your engine oil…not doing so can severely shorten the lifespan of your engine.
According to the BMW X2 owners manual, the air filter should be changed every 5th oil change, or approximately 50,000 miles. The BMW Repair Guide disagrees with the BMW factory recommendation…we strongly suggest that all X2 owners change their engine air filter every 10,000 miles or once a year (whichever occurs first). If you drive for an extended period of time in highly contaminated conditions (dirt roads, road construction, etc.) you will need to perform a BMW X2 air filter replacement even more frequently.
Replacing the air filter on your X2 costs less than $20 and can be done in 15 minutes by even the most novice of home mechanics. Save yourself an expensive trip to the dealership by doing your own BMW X2 air filter replacement. We provide you with a list of high quality replacement air filters below that can be delivered to your door in just a couple of days.
1. Air filter (required) – Always use a BMW approved air filter in your X2. We give you several affordable choices based on your brand preference and budget. All of these filters are factory OE quality. Please note that these filters also fit all 2014+ X1 and MINI vehicles including the Clubman and Countryman.
2. High performance air filter (optional) – Looking to add more horsepower and torque to your X1, X2 or MINI? These high performance filters will out flow factory ones by up to 20%. The result is more air in the cylinders which equals increased performance.
- Open the hood and locate the air filter’s housing, also known as the intake muffler, on the left side of the engine.
- The air filter is located inside the intake muffler. To access the filter you will need to remove the three T30 torx screws securing its cover.
- Start by removing the wiring harness from the right side of the intake muffler. It is simply held in place by a rubber mount that clips to the side of the intake muffler.
- Use a T30 torx bit to remove the three screws anchoring the cover.
- Lift the cover up and pull the air filter out of the intake muffler.
- Vacuum out the bottom of the intake muffler to remove any dirt, sand and/or leaves that may be present.
- Reinstall a fresh air filter following the above steps in reverse.