BMW F30 Fog Light Bulb Replacement – 15 Minutes
This article covers replacing the fog light bulb in a BMW F30 3 series vehicle. Even though we used a 2014 320i to perform this repair, this article can be applied to any 2012-2019 F30 3 series vehicle with minor modifications to the repair steps.
A BMW F30 fog light bulb replacement only takes a few minutes and can be done by even the most novice home mechanic.
The fog lights on 2012-2019 3 series vehicles are located on the lower front bumper and are manually activated by a dashboard button located next to the headlight switch. BMW fog lights assist the headlights in low visibility conditions by illuminating the driving surface. Their low proximity to the ground helps keep the road surface in view in rainy or foggy conditions with minimal glare in the driver’s eyes.
A BMW fog light bulb replacement requires loosening the front fender liner and bending it slightly back to access the rear of the lamp. The H8 fog light bulb can then be easily removed from the rear of the lamp assembly and replaced. We give detailed step by step instructions below on how to perform this procedure.
1. H8 fog light bulb (required) – We offer both a Genuine BMW factory bulb as well as a quality aftermarket manufacturer to choose from.
Halogen H8 bulb – Genuine BMW 7119906503
Halogen H8 bulb – Osram Sylvania 63217160782
2. Performance H8 fog light bulb (optional) – Upgrade the front end appearance of your 2012-2019 3 series with one of these high performance fog light bubs.
Halogen H8 Solar Yellow Bulb – PIAA 22-13408
8mm socket wrench
Section 1 – BMW F30 fog light bulb replacement
The BMW F30 fog light bulb must be accessed from inside the front fender well. There is unfortunately not an access cover…you will need to remove a few screws from the fender liner and pull it back to remove the bulb.
- Turn the front wheel out on the side of the vehicle you are replacing the fog light bulb on.
- Using an 8mm socket wrench, remove the three outside fender liner screws. This will loosen the fender liner just enough so the rear of the fog light can be accessed.
- Locate the rear of the fog light lamp. The H8 fog light bulb is mounted in the rear of the lamp.
- Turn the H8 fog light bulb clockwise to release it from the lamp.
- Disconnect the electrical connection from the bulb by pinching in the sides and pulling it free.
- Install a new bulb following the above steps in reverse. Never touch the glass of a new bulb with your bare hands…the oil from your skin can cause it to overheat.
BMW F30 Fog Light Bulb Replacement Finished
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us. And congratulations for Doing It Yourself!